The Syrian Air Force has been an independent service in the Syrian armed forces since its formation in 1948 but is distinct from the Air Defence Force, which controls Syria’s network of air defence radars and surface‐to‐air missile batteries.
While Moscow’s battlefield support for the Assad regime in Syria has almost certainly prevented the latter’s military collapse, what else has the involvement of Russian forces in the country achieved? Tim Ripley reports
• Revealed: the huge gaps in UK defences (The Times)
• MOD helicopter troops put troops in peril – Daily Telegraph (PDF)
Ukraine Crisis 2014
• Operation Crimea ’14 Update – March 2014
• Ukraine-Russia Military Stand Off – March 2014
• Download a copy of Adobe Reader to read PDF files from www.adobe.com (Opens new window)